Sunday, March 14, 2010

On The Shelf (4)

This is my first In My Mailbox meme, which I've titled On The Shelf despite the fact that most of my books are pretty spread around. *wince*

I've actually picked up a few books the past few days, and I can't wait to dive into them once I've caught myself up on reviews and such. (I have been beyond slacking.)


Demon hunter Maxine Kiss wears her armor as tattoos, which unwind from her body to take on forms of their own at night.
They stand between her and her enemies, just as Maxine stands between humanity and the demons breaking out from behind the prison veils.
It is a life lacking in love, reveling in death, until one momentaand one mana changes everything.


I read the excerpt to this book's sequel a few months back and it caught my attention enough that I remembered it on Thursday and decided to find it. I only had enough to get the first one (since I was getting the rest of the Cal Leandros books), but I'm really excited to get started reading it.


In the sleepy English countryside of decades past, there is a town that has stood on a jut of granite for six hundred years. And immediately to the east stands a high stone wall, for which the village is named.

Here in the town of Wall, Tristran Thorn has lost his heart to the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester. One crisp October night, as they watch, a star falls from the sky, and Victoria promises to marry Tristran if he'll retrieve that star and bring it back for her.

It is this promise that sends Tristran through the only gap in the wall, across the meadow, and into the most unforgettable adventure of his life.



This isn't the same edition that I have since the library gave me a hardcover copy. I've seen the movie (I hadn't known it was based on a book until afterward.) and I thought it was pretty good. (Cross dressing Robert DeNiro...it's hard to get better than that, my friends.)

It's time to lock, load, and hit the road...

Once, while half-human Cal Leandros and his brother Niko were working on a case, an ancient gypsy queen gave them a good old-fashioned backstabbing. Now, just as their P.I. business hits a slow patch, the old crone shows up with a job.

She wants them to find a stolen coffin that contains a blight that makes the Black Death seem like a fond memory. But the thief has already left town, so the Leandros brothers are going on the road. And if they're very, very lucky, there might even be a return trip...

Ahhh, the Leandros boys. I do love this series, and I only started it last month. I picked up Moonshine, Madhouse, and Deathwish as well....but they aren't on my To Be Read pile anymore. I bought them last Thursday, and damned if I didn't devour them within 48 hours. I started Roadkill today, and I make no promises on how long I'll be able to keep from absorbing it, but I can tell you right now: I'll be rereading this series many times. (I also got my dad started on them too. *grin*)


For Grace, one yellow-eyed wolf is a chilling presence in the woods behind her house.

During winter, Sam lives in the frozen woods and the silent company of a fearless girl.

In summer, he lives a few precious months as a human.

Soon, Grace and Sam find themselves risking everything to remain together.



Frankie Diane was doing a giveaway for Linger, the sequel to Shiver, a little while back, and when she found out I had yet to read this, she demanded that I procure it immediately, so I ordered it from the library, and picked it up on Thursday along with Stardust. I've already started reading it, and I'll say it isn't what I had expected, so far.

I also have my very own....Fedora Hat!!!


[Picture+1.jpg]
Me in my Fedora.

3 comments:

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, I enjoyed Stardust! Hope you do too (just don't think of the movie when you're reading it).

Happy reading!

Amelia said...

hey Mireyah I love your new layout!!!
Ohhh tell me how you like SHIVER :DD
Have a good week

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

I love the Iron Hunt Cover!!!

Shiver is excellent. Right now I am following Shiverguy.com as he reads this one from a guys perspective. He is hilarious! You must check him out later=)


Enjoy your reads!
http://lll808.blogspot.com/2010/03/in-my-mailbox-10.html